Sunday, July 24, 2011

Hello Again?!

BOOO to being lame and not reading since forever. I am sorry. I have read some books, if you count Diary of A Wimpy Kid, Flat Stanley, and a whole lot of others that come with four kids reading this summer?!
I just finished a book this am. I am amazed at how slow I have been reading. I am entertaining four sometimes more children each day, but alas, I love reading and when I do find a minute, I cherish it.
All That Was Promised, by Vickie Hall. Beautiful book. I think I am a little biased to some books I have been reading. So far, most of the books have been great. I love them.
This book is about the early Saints of the Church (LDS CHURCH) in Wales. Joseph Smith has just been martyred, but the missionary work is still going strong. Elder Ben Lachlan is a missionary preaching in a small town, Cardiff. Richard Kenyon, and minister of another religion hears this man speaking of the gospel and asks to hear more. Minutes turn to hours, which leads to the next day. Richard Kenyon, along with his brother in law and sister in law are baptized. His wife, Leah, is supportive, but does not wish to be baptized.
Of course, this book might sound all hunky dorey and such, but let us remember, this is back in the day right after the church has been restored. People hated, and I mean hated the Mormons. We were persecuted, scorned, ridiculed and many lost their lives by the hatred of others. These few Saints were no different. Houses were burned, people beaten, jobs lossed, animals slain. Horrible things. But a small branch of faithful Saints pressed forward. Richard wife does join her husband in the fullness of the gospel! Lives are improved, enriched and beloved.
After reading this book, although fiction, the stories are real. I felt an overwhelming sense of gratitude for these families. They paved the way for me, and my family. I have ancestors who treked west with the Saints. I am lineage traced back to Brigham Young (2nd Latter Day Prophet). I am sure in my history there are stories just like these. I am proud to be a member of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. I know that this is the only true church on the face of the Earth. I know that even though they were hated, they stood strong, and so shall we still to this day.
Happy Reading, check this book out. You won't be disappointed.
All the Was Promised, by Vickie Hall

*** Heidi Durant***

No comments:

Post a Comment