Thursday, January 13, 2011

BOOK # 5

The Help, by Kathryn Stockett

Okay, I really wanted to read this book. I had heard people saying they had read and enjoyed this book, but no one ever said what is was about. I borrowed a copy and with the intentions of reading some "self-help" type book, I opened to the first chapter.
Holy cow! I had no idea what I was in for. This book was amazing. I like to think I am Miss Skeeter with a touch of Minny.
This book takes place in Jackson, Mississippi in the 1960's. People still had maids and they were treated so well. We follow Aibileen, and Minny along with Miss Skeeter who is white. Aibileen works for Miss LeeFolt, someone who is always trying to impress and keep up with the "Jones'" Miss Hilly is the devil, but all the white women see her as the saint she tries to portray. I kept thinking that all the money the league was raising for starving children in Africa was really going to head up her husbands' campaign, but it never turned out that way. She is one twisted "two-slice" of a woman. Okay, so Aibileen works for Miss LeeFolt and goes about doing everything that woman doesn't. Cooking,cleaning, toilet training, and such. If she didn't think she would catch disease from Aibileen, I am sure that Elizabeth LeeFolt would've had her wipe her butt for her. But then again, Aibileen has her own bathroom off the garage to avoid such things.
Minny is a stout sass mouth. She worked for Miss Hilly's mom until things went south, and now works for Miss Celia. The one who is trying to make friends with the two faced league members. Miss Celia's boobs are too big and sweaters too small, but she gussies herself up because she grew up with nothing. Minny is secretly hired to cook and clean and teach her how to do those things. Mister Johnny later finds out and thanks Minny for not lettting him starve to death.
Miss Skeeter is tall, gawky and unmarried. She is a writer and wants to change things. She begins with just an idea, which later leads to interviews, stories, broken relationships and much more. Skeeter (eugenia) has a mother who still insists on controlling her every move. "Don't wear that, let's fix your hair, stand up straight" Miss Skeeter works with Aibileen, and Minny and eleven other maids to put together this book. They work in secret with fear of consequence. Blacks and whites did not go together back in the day. Blacks were for working and whites were superior. The book was published and well, I will let you read what happens in the end. Here is my opinion on the book.
First, the rating, GOTTA READ IT! I am so glad I finally read this book. I hope I would've had the strength to be Miss Skeeter. To stand up for equality and such things like that. I take pride in my own home and that I can clean all by myself!!! It is turning, it is thoughtful, funny, and insightful. Sad times back then, with modern slaves and KKK and civil rights and stuff. Go read it, and tell me what you think! Don't forget to follow, comment and share.

2 comments:

  1. "Miss Celia's boobs are too big and sweaters too small"...this literally made me laugh out loud. I love you.

    I thought you would really like The Help. Like I said, it's a portrait of an era that everyone should at least read about once. I really, really loved it. Let me know if you need suggestions for future books. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good. Adding it to my list.

    I am working my way through all of the Phillippa Gregory books. Historical fiction form Tudor England. Good stuff. Just finished "The Other Queen" and "The Constant Princess"

    ReplyDelete