Sunday, February 13, 2011

Book #8 Complete

In my own words, I would have to say that Nancy Turner's book, These Is My Words, is an amazing book! I am glad it was recommended and even more glad that I bought the book and can read it again and again!
For those who have not read the book, I will just briefly describe this wonderful story!
The Prine Family: Mama, Papa, Albert, Ernest, Sarah, Harland, and Clover. They had a baby sister that now lives in heaven. Set in the late 1800's, the family has decided to move their settlement elsewhere. They begin their trek, just as Sarah has begun this journal. She documents everything, in great detail, that they endure. From Indian attacks, near death encounters with some dirty old men, shootings, hangings, floods, births and funerals. Her youngest brother, Clover, gets bit by a rattlesnake, and dies, they bury him. Her papa is killed in attack, and they bury him. Her mama goes a little crazy (can we blame her?) but she finally comes around. Don't worry, we have happy times too. Albert marrys a queit Quaker gal, Savannah, and her and Sarah become best friends.
This story is fictional, but set in historic times. We read of Geronimo, and his gangs, and fights with Commanches and Apache Indians. Sarah is quite the shot with her rifle, and with that she wins the heart of some old dirty cuss of a soldier, Capt. Jack Elliot!
They settle in the Arizona Territory, and set to make a homestead. Albert and Savannah begin their family, and Sarah also re-meets an old friend from long ago, Jimmy Reed. (we don't like him, but I will let you get your own opinion of him) They are horse breeders, and make quite a living for themselves and have a large home. They have a daughter, April, who in Sarah's mind will be her only child, since childbirth was not her fortay!
Oh, please read this book! You will smile, laugh, cringe, and cry. Her journal is really written in the words of a self educated gal in the 1800's. She teaches herself to read and wants everyone to read anything they can. Sarah is one tough cookie, and I only wish if I lived then, I would have the same courage. I finished the book last night, after we had seen the movie, True Grit. Seeing Madi's courage in that movie, made me feel the same way for Sarah. Tough cookies!
So, if you haven't already guessed my rating, here it is: LOVED IT AND GOTTA READ IT!!!!!!!
Happy Reading, and don't forget to follow, comment and share!

1 comment: