Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Great Mystery

I can not believe I finished this book already. You know, being a stay at home mommy really does has its advantages! Today around 12:30, I hit the power button on my beloved bookworm. I scrolled down my library, and highlighted my recently downloaded copy of Travis Slone's novel, The Great Mystery, and by 5:55 this evening, I was hitting the power button again. Done and Done!!!
The prologue to this book sent a tear down my cheek. I have known Summer, his wife, for years now. I could see this scared wife and mommy in my head; and it stood out more, because I could see my best friend saying good bye to her husband as they rushed him into the O.R. Summer told me about the "squeeze" when we were young, and I too have adapted my own version of " I love you" with my Mr. We sqeeze two times!! I know these two people love each other, and when I continued to read this novel, I could sense the reality of this dream that Travis and translated into a book.
This book was interesting. Our two main characters, Eva and Amir start out as young children. Strangers, yet soon to be friends. What happens, I can't really tell you because I would end up telling you the whole story, and you really should read it for yourself. So many important people and words of wisdom are spoken throughout this book. These two young souls become full grown adults not only physically, but mentally, and spiritually as well.
Eva, and Amir reminded me at times, to be like Adam and Eve. They are two lone beings, with this whole world around them, and they are searching for something, a treasure that will unite all of humanity. Adam and Eve were the first two people on this earth, and they were commanded to multiply the earth. I saw Eva and Amir's quest for the treasure similar to that commandment. Sure, they weren't multiplying, but they were trying to make things better; trying to ensure peace for their people.
The Great Mystery. What is that? Is that something we are all looking for? Have you found your own great mystery? If so, please share. At the end of this book, like the book previous, The Third, I found myself wanting more. Honestly, I was confused at why it ended the way it did. It's like a movie that just ends, and leaves you to ponder what goes on after. That is how I thought this book was, but once you continue to read the Epilogue, you realize that that is where Travis' journey with Eva and Amir ended. That brings me to the epilogue. Travis, if you read this, answer me this... did that really happen? Summer, did that really happen? I won't tell my other readers what I am wanting to know, but once you read the book, you too will want to know. So, all I need from you Mr. and Mrs. Slone, is a yes or a no, and I will leave it at that.
Travis, thank you for writing this book. I think you might have sparked a flame that has been burning inside me to do the same. This story shines a different light on things, whether you believe in God or not. Science, or fate. It was my pleasure to read this!
Happy Reading, and don't forget to comment, follow, and share!!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the wonderful review. Travis will email you shortly with the answer to your question... Love you bunches!! Sum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great book I will ask Tyler if we can buy it. I want to know the answer to even if I havent read the book yet. I love books that are real stories with different people.

    ReplyDelete