Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Third

So, last week, a package came for me in the mail. Inside this padded envelope was a book entitled, The Third, by Abel Keogh. I had been in contact with Tristi Pinkston, author of Secret Sisters, and she had asked if I would be interested in reading this book. I told her, "yes," and in exchange, I would get a copy before it is released, and have the opportunity to read and blog about it before most of the public. Now, seriously, why I would say no this opportunity.
So, I just finished this book, and the first words out my mouth were, "what? it's over?" I was so bummed that there were no more pages to turn. The last book that I finished that bummed me out was, Between Shades of Gray; a real page turner. Which, by the way, is available to read now. But onto this book. I LOVED it!
The story takes place in the year 2065. It's funny, how some people think that in the future technology will have taken over, but that is not the case with this book. Keogh refers to the future as going more "back in the day." No one drives cars anymore, bad for the environment. Everyone has to live within the city walls, and everything is rationed: food, water, power, everything. Each family is given a card that is punched when food or water is purchased, and if you happen to lose your card, you can not legally obtain these things. Population is even controlled. The government has made laws that families can not be any larger than four. Two parents, and two children. If you decide, or get surprised with a third pregnancy, you must purchase a credit or the expectant mother will be seized by snatchers, and taken to the infirmary.
The opening chapter of this book really grabbed my attention. Ransom Lawe is just a on his way to work, when this bully of a sentinel (snatcher) decides to quiet an innocent baby on this busy tram. Ransom steps in to try and save the life of this baby he does not know, only to find out that this Dragomir is going to haunt him for the rest of the time being.
Ransom is married to Teya, and they have two boys, James and Warren. They live on the fifth floor of this small apartment building. Ransom is a recyler and works with Dempsey, who is an old timer and is always talking about how things used to be. Teya works as a lab tech for the Census Bureau. She is in charge of running the pregnancy tests on all the women who are on state mandated birth control. Her sister, Mona, is the head of the Cenus Bureau, and although she loves her sister and her family, she also is a law abiding citizen and makes it very clear that she will not play favorites.
Teya finds out that she is pregnant with baby number four. Knowing that she needs to tell Ransom, she hesitates out of fear. She switches blood work in the lab to conceal her pregnancy, but that ends up hurting another family. Teya finally comes clean to her husband, and now the burden of no food, the crazy sentinel who seems to pop up everywhere, heat, work, and no money seem to be a walk in the park now that he needs to find a credit to purchase with only a thousand dollars so they can keep this child.
So, who comes into play now? Well, this hispanic lady approaches Ransom, and thanks him for saving her baby's life. Esperanza! She comes to Ransom with a plan to help save his wife, and family. Ransom refuses, buys a fake credit, and now has to break his wife out of the infirmary. Yes, she is taken, but I can't tell you everything!!!!
I wanted this book to keep going and going. I hope that Abel Keogh has a sequel in the works, but I need to know what happens to this family. I love how he sparks an interest, and leads you to this happy ending. Well, sort of, I guess... I want to know more! He ties all the characters in so well, you read the words, and you are happily surprised to see who is helping who.
I hope this post makes you wanting more. If it does, then read this book. My rating: Loved it and Gotta Read It!!!
Happy Reading, and a special thanks to Abel Keogh for writing this, and for letting me read it; and also to Tristi Pinkston for "including" me on this reading adventure. I love my job, and I really loved this book!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you enjoyed, The Third. And, yes, a sequel is in the works. I promise not to leave you hanging. :-)

    ReplyDelete